Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Post 1




I've been listening to Sergius Gregory's music on line for four years, and we've been talking on the phone back and forth from Washington to Alaska, telling each other stories that sometimes turn into songs, mailing each other new things we're working on. I send things to him general delivery, as he doesn't have a mail box. When I ride on a noisy bus full of people coughing, the iPod comes out and i shuffle through 30 of his songs. When I can't sleep. When I get on an airplane. When I need to get in the mood to write something. I've never met him in person (though there have been some tragic almosts) but his music has been a constant in every one of my days for the last few years. The most beautiful music, and never put onto a piece of plastic to be kept forever. So about a month ago we decided to draw up a contract. I would get a business license for a record label and he would send me all the songs he has.

I'd like to keep a record of this process, of Sergius' first printed album (he sent me 5 albums' worth of songs and we compiled 12 of our favorite ones from his earlier works, with plans to release his most recent work right after) and my first attempts to go from self-promoting musician to someone-else-promoting musician. A lot has already happened in the last month so I'll elaborate on that later. But I decided to start a blog today after seeing some photos that my friend Paul Elam (who plays music as Fieldhead) took on a recent trip to Churchill, Canada. Gave me something visual to connect to.

The album was already sent off to mastering yesterday so I'll probably do some backtracking and go over how we chose songs and artwork and things like that. I imagine in the next few months we'll actually meet in person. Perhaps this is all a greedy way of me finally getting my hands on a Sergius Gregory album after all these years. I'm excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment